We aim to ensure that all personal data provided under various applications and notifications are handled in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and to protecting the privacy of our users.
We respect your privacy and we will endeavor:
- To implement computer, physical and procedural safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of the personal data we collect;
- To limit the personal data collected to what is required to provide a better service;
- To permit only properly trained, authorized employees to access personal data;
- Not to disclose your personal data to external parties unless you have agreed, we are required by law or we have previously informed you.
1. PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED AND HELD
In order to provide you with better service, we may collect information when you register with us, attend our events, use our services, or communicate with us. Your provision of personal data to the Asian Religious Connections Research Cluster (also ASIAR) under Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (HKIHSS) is of a voluntary basis. By doing so, it indicates your consent to receiving the insights and news about the institute and its programs. We may also use your personal data to notify you about important changes to the Website and new services if and when we think you will be interested.
The typical types of information held by us are basic contact details (such as name, job title, organization name, address, telephone, email and language preference), a record of our contact with you and your areas of interest.
2. MAIN PURPOSES OF COLLECTING AND KEEPING PERSONAL DATA
The main purposes for which your personal data may be used are:
- Processing your registration for our communication services, enquiry or feedback;
- Our operations, e.g., incorporation into our database, analysis, research and auditing;
- Tracking and examination of our internal procedures in response to enquiries and complaints;
- Surveys, general market research and specific campaigns;
- Processing subscriptions and payments;
- Registration for our events;
- Marketing our services and products;
- To mail communications, publications, invitations and such like as you may select, request or as we may consider to be relevant to you;
- Comply with disclosure requirements under any law applicable in or outside Hong Kong;
- Public notices;
- Legal proceedings, including collecting overdue amounts;
- Other related purposes.
We may conduct direct marketing via email, direct mail, telephone and other means of communication, or send e-newsletters to you. You may choose not to receive promotional materials, by simply telling us, and we will cease to do so, without charge.
3. PRIVACY OF PERSONAL DATA
The information that you provide to us will be treated in strict confidence. We will not divulge or sell personal details to external parties for their own purpose. We will keep the personal data we hold confidential but may provide information to:
- Personnel, agents, advisers, auditors, contractors, financial institutions, and service providers in connection with our operations or services;
- Our affiliates, business partners and counterparts;
- Persons under a duty of confidentiality to us;
- Persons to whom we are required to make disclosure under applicable laws in or outside Hong Kong.
We cannot control how third parties use information.
4. OPT-OUT CLAUSE
You may opt out of receiving email messages from us and delete your personal information at any time by sending us an email stating that you wish all such data to be deleted from our records. You may also send us your request to access and/ or modify your personal data by email to us or by post. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to us (address: Asian Religious Connections Research Cluster, Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences, Room 106 May Hall, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong).
5. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Please note that the Website contains links to other, external sites. This Statement will no longer be in effect when you browse such external websites. Your browsing and interruption on other websites, including websites that have a link to the Website, is subject to that website’s own rules and policies which may differ from ours. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of such sites and we recommend that you read the privacy policies on any external sites that you use.
6. CHANGES IN POLICY